Persons with disabilities comprise approximately 15% of the world's population, or one billion people, 80% of whom live in developing countries and are over-represented among those living in absolute poverty. Persons with disabilities often face discrimination and exclusion on a daily basis.
The situation is even worse if they live in rural areas, are women, young people, belong to ethnic minorities and/or other discriminated groups.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development includes persons with disabilities and has therefore opened the door for their participation and recognition as active contributing members of society: they should not be discriminated against or left out. Persons with disabilities should be recognised as equal partners and be consulted by governments, the UN system, civil society and other stakeholders.
The main objective of the Network for the social inclusion of people with disabilities in rural areas of the EU through the mentoring and leadership training programme -EU- RUDISNET is to create a European Network for the social inclusion of people with disabilities through the development and pilot implementation of an innovative programme aimed at promoting cooperation and formation of civic associations in rural areas. This network will train adults with disabilities as a way to contribute to the development and integration of people with disabilities in rural areas because they face fewer opportunities and lack of information due to double discrimination.
- Qualitative study to identify the existing needs of people with disabilities from rural areas and the lack of information on opportunities for them in the European regions covered by the project.
- Development of a Virtual Community of European professional adult trainers, mentors and trainers of people with disabilities, putting them in contact with each other and with other professionals, in order to share experiences, knowledge, training, etc.
- To develop an innovative transnational training course for adult education professionals of people with disabilities that will enable them to create new content oriented to training on mentoring and leadership and also on other social skills so that these people with disabilities in rural areas can be included and active members of the whole society.
- Implementation of training of trainers courses aimed at developing leadership competencies and other soft skills c and thus mentoring methods for people with disabilities from rural areas.
- EU-RUDISNET Portal, an open ICT tool designed with the purpose of modelling a learning community to support the professional upskilling of adult educators in the field of mentoring and supporting the civic participation and social leadership of Persons with Disabilities living in rural areas. It will be developed around the following themes:
- How to approach and deal with people with disabilities. How to recognise their abilities, how to enhance them;
- Design of services to accompany people with disabilities in local rural communities towards personal autonomy.
- Mentoring for people with disabilities, how to accompany people with disabilities in a process of leadership and civic participation.
- Skills and competences needed for leadership: preparing people with disabilities to be leaders of their social inclusion, especially in rural areas.
- Communication and social skills for people with disabilities: how to achieve effective and empathetic communication.
- Disability Mentoring Programme: mentoring process of people with disabilities who are leaders towards other people with disabilities (mentoring of mentors).
- Local action / workshops to accompany the mentoring process to empower people with disabilities to be leaders in their rural areas and contribute to improve the lives of people with disabilities and the exploitation of resources and opportunities for them at local level.
- Celebrate multiplier events in each European partner country to disseminate results, training and tools developed at national level.
All the information on the programme can be found at the following link: https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/projects/eplus-project-details/#project/2020-1-ES01-KA204-082423
You will find the news of the program with the label eu-rudisnet